Narrowboat Rhiannon: Water Tank Lining
The owner of the narrowboat Rhiannon contacted us for technical advice and for the supply of materials for the lining of a corroded – rusty steel drinking water tank on his narrow boat.
If possible wanted to avoid using a bladder system and avoid risk of moisture entrapment between the lining and the steel.
Ideally our client wanted to be able to carry out the work himself.
- The narrowboat had an integrated water tank was built into the structure of the narrow boat which could not be removed.
- The narrow boat was likely to remain in the water whilst the work was carried out so the surface of the steel would be both cold and potentially damp.
- The tank was previous un-lined and had a considerable amount of corrosion in it.
- There was limited space to work in.
- The owner or the narrowboat wanted to carry out the work himself.
This is a system that we have provided to many narrowboat owners in the past.
Our specification for this project was the supply of materials that included an anti-corrosion surface and damp tolerant resin primer coat and a damp surface tolerant drinking water approved intermediate and top coats.
The materials were both based on epoxy resin technology and had the advantages of being:
- Solvent free.
- Low odour & pleasant materials to work with.
- Easy to apply with just using basic equipment.
- High anti-corrosion and impermeability properties.
- Glass flake reinforced technology top coat to create an impenetrable surface.
- Drinking water approved.
- Finished in a light colour.
- Designed for use in confined spaces.
- Long lasting and durable.
We provided detailed technical advice regarding surface preparation, mixing and application of the materials and also help pages for getting around troubleshooting problems and if required the tools and equipment to carry out the work too.
Unlike other companies, we are happy to give telephone support, even out of hours and weekends, to help with general guidance, technical questions or simply morale support. We would rather talk you through something, even if it is confirming that everything is ok, rather than you worrying about something that that could be easily fixed with a quick phone call.
With correct surface preparation this system will give narrowboat owners many years of maintenance free use.
Narrowboat Water Tank Lining Before and After Treatment